United Methodist Women and the Missions Team are working together on Operation Christmas Child, often called The Shoebox Ministry, which is organized by Franklin Graham’s charity, Samaritan’s Purse. They distribute shoeboxes filled with small gifts for children all over the world who are affected by poverty, disease, war, and natural disasters. Besides delighting the children, the boxes often open the door for the children and their families to hear the Good News about Jesus Christ.
Here’s what you would do to participate:
- Pick up a preprinted shoebox after Worship on October 11th or 18th, or in the office (M-W-F mornings)
- Decide what gender and age your box will be for (Girl or Boy, Age 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14)*
- Read the instructions and suggested gift lists that are included in each box
- Fill the box with small gifts (plus a personal note and your photo, if desired)
- Write the gender and age on a sticky note on the top of your box
- Return it to the Narthex or office no later than November 16th
* You are welcome to take a dress or wooden car for your box, until our supplies run out
And here’s what we’ll do:
- Provide boxes, dresses, and wooden cars
- Attach the official Operation Christmas Child labels
- Hold the boxes closed with large rubber bands
- Pay the requested $9.00 per box shipping fee
- Deliver the boxes to the local drop-off location
Additional note: If you prefer to donate cash for this project, we will be happy to do the shopping for you. If you provide a personal note and a photo, we will include it in your box.